Friday, November 4, 2016

Not-So Marvelous Mumbo-Jumbo

=================================================

“Dr. Strange” Mysterious Mumbo-Jumbo

By Skip Sheffield

Marvel mumbo-jumbo. That pretty much describes “Doctor Strange,” starring Benedict Cumberbatch.
“You need to read the comic book,” said Al, my friend and fellow reviewer.
It would be difficult to get my hands on a 50-year-old Marvel Comics issue featuring the doctor with strange powers. My notes were as incomprehensible as the story itself. Suffice to say, I never read “Doctor Strange” or any other Marvel Comic, so I am at a distinct disadvantage of making heads or tails of this fantastic story.
Dr. Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) is a celebrated neurosurgeon. Early on he is in a horrendous auto accident. His hands, which are the tools of his trade, are badly damaged. After moping around, he travels to Katmandu (of course) and encounters the mystical Mordo (Chiwetel Ejiofer) and the even more mystical Ancient One, played by Tilda Swinton with a clean-shaven head. The Ancient One bestows magical powers upon Dr. Strange. Sparks fly out from his now healed hands. It helps him fight the bad guy, played by Mads Mikkelson. Dr. Strange gets help from the ever-lovely Rachel McAdams as a fellow doctor.

“Doctor Strange” is CGI special effects dominated, including some really cool scenes when streets of Manhattan are accordioned up and folded. What it all means I haven’t the slightest idea. I have failed on my mission Captain, but check it out if you are of the Marvel Universe,


No comments:

Post a Comment