Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Martin Barre Plays Jethro Tull at Arts Garage

--------------------------------------------------------------------


Grammy Award-winning Guitarist Martin Barre Plays Arts Garage

By Skip Sheffield

Martin Barre is “Thick as a Brick” and proud of it. The former Jethro Tull lead guitarist brings his own group to the Arts Garage, 94 N.E. Second Ave., Delray Beach at 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 21.
Barre’s signature guitar playing was as much a part of Jethro Tull’s sound as was Ian Anderson’s vocals and flute playing. Coincidentally Barre plays flute, and began his career as a professional sax player in England.
“Yes, I worked for a couple years as a saxophonist, and I also play flute, mandolin and bouzouki,” he said by telephone from England. “I am quite familiar with Florida and Delray Beach. It should be quite an original evening. It will be a 50-50 split between the Jethro Tull catalog and my songs.”
Prior to coming to Delray Beach, Barre and his group will be performing on a classic rock cruise to the Bahamas, headlined by fellow British platinum rockers Yes.
“We are playing just one show on the cruise,” Barre reveals. “I wish we were playing more.”
Barre’s current group consists of Barre, Dan Crisp on vocals acoustic guitar and bouzouki, George Lindsay on drums and Alan Thomson on bass.
Martin Barre performed for 43 years with Jethro Tull. The group stopped touring in 2012 and called it quits in 2014.
“There was never an official recognition of an end” says Barre. “I am happy where I am, doing my solo tour. Ian Anderson has his solo tour. It’s always an open book. The sheer weight of the Jethro Tull catalog is enough for a lifetime. I’ll never play as well as I want to, but I will always keep trying.”
The Martin Barre concert is sold-out, but there could be some returns or no-shows. Call 561-450-6357 or go to www.artsgarage.org.



No comments:

Post a Comment